This post is a collection of some of the best apps, tips, and tricks I have discovered from countless hours of research into facebook and the facebook ecosystem.
If you know of any additional facebook tips and tricks worth sharing let us know in the comments below!
1. Create a Custom Username for your facebook Profile or Page
For example, the custom url of my personal profile is: http://www.facebook.com/garinkilpatrick/
You can customize the URLs of your own facebook profile and pages by surfing to: http://www.facebook.com/username/
If you go to facebook.com/notifications you will be able to choose how you would like to syndicate your status updates, as RSS or Text Messages.
3. Import your Tweets as status updates
With the Twitter app for Facebook. This app will import all tweets as status updates, which may alienate your fb friends with useless @replies if they do not have twitter.
Sendible.com is a site that allows you to import your contacts from a variety of address books, and schedule status updates to multiple networks.
Status updates supported by Sendible include: your Facebook Wall, Facebook Page, and other Social Media sites like Twitter and Linkedin.
5. Sync Photos of facebook Friends with Microsoft Outlook Contacts
OutSync is a free Windows application that syncs photos of your Facebook friends with matching contacts in Microsoft Outlook.
This application allows you to select which contacts are updated.
With this app you can update all contacts at once or just a few at a time.
6. Customize your facebook Page
With the Static FBML app by faceboook.
Using this app you can create a custom “welcome” tab for your facebook page, customize the sidebar of your wall, and more!
7. Export your facebook Events to your Google Calendar
8. Download your facebook Albums from Friends, Events, and Groups
FacePAD is a plugin for Firefox. better known as the Facebook Photo Album Downloader will allow you to download your friends’ entire Facebook albums with a click of a button.
9. Flickr to Facebook
An unofficial Flickr to Facebook uploader (bookmarklet).
This app allows you to easily upload photos to Facebook from Flickr.
10. Upload photos to your facebook account with Picasa
The Google owned Picasa comes complete with an uploader app for Facebook.
This app also gives you the option of uploading the Picasa captions and resizing your photos before uploading them to facebook.
Add a simple button to Picasa that lets you upload your photos straight to Facebook! You can put photos in an existing album or create a new one.
11. Export the emails of your facebook friends as a .csv list.
Facebook turns emails into images so until recently there was no easy way to download the emails of your friends without manually copying them all out. Luckily before I did this I discovered the video below.
The video above shows how Yahoo offers a service that will automatically pull all of your facebook emails into a coma separated list.
12. How to: Remove facebook Advertisements
13. Import Selective Tweets as facebook status updates
After you link the Selective Tweets App with your Twitter account, any tweets you select will be sent to Facebook.
Select tweets for facebook by using the hashtag #FB in your tweet and it will appear also as a Facebook status update.
14. Access facebook chat on your desktop
This msn style chat program delivers a better experience than the browser based version of facebook chat, since it is not stuck to the bottom of a browser.
Chit chat offers tabs for managing multiple conversations at once.
If you are a Mac user you should check out the widely popular program Adium since it integrates facebook chat, and msn messenger!
15. Use facebook Chat Emoticons
Here is an image showing all of the available Facebook Chat Smileys and Symbols.
16. Manage facebook Chat with Lists
If you only wanted to talk to your best friends, for example, then simply create a list called best friends and leave in online, and set all other lists to offline.
In the image shown to the left you will see that I have only three of my lists online.
Due to lists in the image in the left I have only 114 of my fiends online at the time I took this screenshot.
Any friends who are within my offline lists will appear offline to me, even if they are online.
17. Update Facebook via SMS Text Messages
If you already have facebook synced with your phone you can send a status update by sending a text message to 32665. Syncing your phone with facebook is a simple seven step process.
- Login to facebook.
- Click on Account, and account settings.
- Click the Mobile tab.
- you will see a link for “Register for Facebook Mobile Texts”. Click this link and fill out the information requested, including your cell phone number.
- A text message with a confirmation code will then be sent to your phone.
- Add in this confirmation code at the website listed in the text. At this point you are registered to update your Facebook message with texts.
- Now you can update your status by sending a text message to 32665.
18. Get Facebook summary updates via email
A great way to stay connected with facebook via a free service called nutshellmail. Nutshell mail delivers well designed facebook updates, and offers a similar service for both Twitter and Linkedin.
19. Update your Facebook Status from Firefox
Firestatus is A status update utility for multiple social networks, including Twitter, FriendFeed, Facebook, delicious and more.
20. Download the Facebook app for your phone
Simply browse to m.facebook.com from your mobile phone, and you will be able to access the mobile version of fb.
21. Get detailed statistics of your facebook friends with Socialistics
Socialistics is a comprehensive social insight tool.
This facebook app provides an integrated analysis of your friends and networks.
All graphs are a reflection of stats relating to your friends.
But more interestingly Socialistics creates detailed tag clouds that are a reflection of you and your relationships with people in your networks.
This isn’t Top Friends. It’s much more. It’s an attempt to start understanding who you are within the network you operate within.
22. Automatically Poke Friends that poke you
Yes it’s possible, all thanks to a little Greasemonkey script called Facebook Autopoke.
I am hesitant towards this app. What if someone you don’t want to poke pokes you? Do you really want to automatically poke them back?
If you maximize your poking potential and are comfortable poking anyone this app is for you!
23. Upload photos and video to Facebook via email
Go to facebook.com/mobile and note a special “upload” email address that has been assigned to you by facebook.
Any photograph (or video clip) that is sent to this address via email will instantly get posted to your facebook page.
24. The Konami Code
By entering the konami code you will see a cool lens flare effect that will impress and your friends.
By entering these keys:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Enter.
You will activate the famous Konami code, which unlocks secret areas of many well known websites.
Entering the Konami code in Facebook causes the Website to Enter Lens Flare Mode:
Try typing or pressing Enter for special effects. This is a cool trick, but gets annoying soon. Just re-enter the code to deactivate the effect.
25. Pirate English
Change the language of Facebook to English (Pirate) BETA.
Make yaaar status updates walk the plank.
26. Update Facebook from Google
This app allows you to view your Facebook news feed and update your status from iGoogle. According to the comments this app works great in Firefox, but not Google Chrome.
27. Find all of your Facebook friends on Twitter
After you export all of the email addresses of your facebook friends (see tip #11) you can import them using twitter’s find friends tool, so that you can connect with your facebook friends on twitter.
28. Keep your friends with you as you surf the web
With the social web browser flock (built from mozilla technology). http://www.flock.com
29. Access Gmail from Facebook With Fmail
Additionally, Fmail attempts to rate your email, so you can quickly differentiate between what’s important and what can wait.
30. Flip your status update text upside down
31. Download Facebook Videos
This site offers two options for downloading videos from facebook, both of which are very easy to use.
32. Get all your facebook notifications right on your desktop
FBquick is a quick and easy way to get all your facebook notifications right on your desktop.
33. Ping Facebook and all other major social networks at once
34. Get quick access to many popular features of facebook
Press ALT while pointing to a profile or picture of a use to do common tasks such send poke, message, view album etc.
35. Auto-Colorizer for Facebook
This script adds a custom color scheme to facebook based on profile pictures.
36. Create a collage of Photos of your friends
With the Photo Collage app.
37. Get Facebook and other Instant Messaging in one Program
Digsby is a cool program that integrates email, IM, and Social Networks.
38. The Reviews App for Facebook
With the Reviews App for Facebook, your friends and customers can leave honest opinions about your business.
Reviews lets your prospective fans know what to expect with you and can influence people interacting with your business.
39. Automatically login to Facebook
40. Facebook Share Button integration within Google Reader
This Greasemonkey script Places an expandable Facebook Sharer into each Google Reader item so that websites can be shared with Facebook friends and on a Facebook profile from Reader with a couple clicks
41. Advanced facebook Search Features
Not everybody knows how powerful facebook search is.
Facebook search has a lot of advanced options to help you search like a pro.
A complete list of search tips for Facebook can be found in the Help section of facebook.com.
42. Facebook Dashboard Widget for Mac OS X
Dashboard Widget is a widget developed for the Mac OS X dashboard. It is designed to show notifications from the Facebook website.
43. The Superlatives App is Fun
44. Send RSS Feeds to Facebook Pages with RSS Graffitti
RSS Graffiti is an app that periodically checks the RSS feeds that you specify and posts new entries to the Facebook Walls that you specify.
You can get any feed written on any wall. In fact, multiple feeds to multiple walls. You choose the combination.
This app is used by Seth Godin to bring his blog into his facebook page.
45. Manage Facebook Status Updates and Multiple Twitter Accounts at once
Tweetdeck is the most popular Social Media desktop tool.
They enable multiple account management and facebook status updating.
Make sure to check out my Ultimate TweetDeck Tutorial on garin.tv.
Facebook for Influencers is a useful resource developed by facebook, about how to build an effective facebook presence.
This facebook page is for anyone who wants to build a presence, engage an audience, and spread a message.
47. Check out: the Facebook App director
There are hundreds of apps recommended by facebook within the facebook app directory.
48. Export albums to facebook from iPhoto [Mac]
Facebook Exporter for iPhoto is a free plugin for iPhoto that enables you to export photos directly to Facebook, with captions and tags of your friends.
The plugin requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later and iPhoto 5 or later.
49. Customize your Facebook profile page sidebar
If you are looking for the right icon to link with check out this facebook icon collection.
50. Install a Facebook Like button into your WordPress Self-Hosted Blog
I just implemented this tip on this very page, as you can see below.
To do so I went to Plugins/Add New, and then searched for: “facebook like button.” I installed three different plugins but none worked well with my theme. I decided to stick with the share button at the top of this post.
I recommend installing code for each button manually. Facebook provides a like button building tool that is quite easy to use, and generates code to copy and paste automatically.
You can get a like button by going to the like button plugin page within the facebook developers portal.
If you have a WordPress blog better way to install this feature into all of your posts and/or pages is with the wordpress plugin: WP FB Like. I installed over five facebook like plugins and this one was the easiest to configure, so I recommend it.
If you don’t want a “like” button you can change the verb to “recommend”, as the image above shows.